Thursday, October 4, 2012

What CMU wide receiver Cody Wilson had to say after Wednesday's practice

I spoke with CMU senior wide receiver Cody Wilson after Wednesday's practice. He is currently sixth all-time on the Chippewas' career receiving yards list (2,175) and fifth all-time in career receptions (180). He is within seven catches of fourth place. In addition, Wilson has caught a pass in 33 consecutive games he has played in which is tied for third nationally with West Virginia's Tavon Austin.

On moving up the CMU historical rankings:
"Obviously, I don't check those things out too much. Sometimes you see them before games, after games. I guess for me it's more of a career thing, day in and day out performing at a consistent level. I take pride in those things because it's not a one-day thing, it's playing at a consistent high level over a long period of time. So that means a lot to me, to see what you've done in your career and that you've made a mark a little bit."

On returning from his toe injury and shaking off some rust:
"Those first two weeks, I thought I was ready to go but honestly looking back I was only playing football for two or three weeks before the opener. I think going into the Michigan State week and after that I really started getting into a groove and comfortable again. I've been playing faster and reading defenses better. I think there was a little rust to shake off, but I feel good playing again."

On making key third down catches that move the chains:
"I think being a slot guy, that is sometimes your identity. I kind of like that role. It's keeps the chains moving, it keeps the offense going. I kind of embrace that. I don't know if the coaches are doing that on purpose, but it's fun to get those opportunities and kind of be known for that."

On how the offense appears to be hitting its stride:
"I think we've been executing really well and I think everyone's been doing their job. The offensive line has been really good and it's helped the receivers get open and the running backs find holes. When the wideouts get open, we're going to make plays. It's something we need to continue moving forward with, but yeah I think we've been moving the ball pretty well lately."

On the two turnovers against Northern Illinois:
"Even going off that last question, that's the one thing we need to fix. Right now, we are just kind of beating ourselves. When you want to win football games, you can't beat yourselves. Those are the things we have to eliminate. It's the thing that stopped drives last week and stopped momentum. I think the game was a lot closer than it appeared on the scoreboard and the reason it wasn't was because of those turnovers."

On going against Toledo's Cover Two defense:
"I just kind of worry about what I have to do. Obviously, I pay attention to what Toledo is doing too, but I guess I don't really have a preference what defense is being played. It's my job to get open no matter what defense it is. Hopefully I do what I need to do and that's getting open and catching the ball."

On the importance of the Toledo game:
"I think it's a really big game. Last week didn't really go how we wanted it to go and now we weren't really in control of our destiny in the MAC. So this is a big game. The goal going into any season is to win a MAC championship, so to have any realistic chance we need to win this game. So this is a big game going there and playing a very good team. So we're looking forward to it, it's a really good opportunity for us."
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home