Thursday, March 25, 2010

Dear Todd McShay

Dear Todd McShay:

First, let me start by saying I have enjoyed and appreciated your work on scouting college prospects for the NFL Draft in years past.
I think you bring a good opposing view at ESPN to your counterpart, Mel Kiper Jr.
But, I need to strongly object to a statement you made on Thursday during an episode of Sportscenter.
Here is what you had to say about former Central Michigan quarterback, Dan LeFevour:
“Dan LeFevour is stiff in his upper body, he’s not accurate, he has no idea about the pro style passing game, he is indecisive, and I don’t think he’s a good leader. I know he won a lot of games at a middle-level school, but Dan LeFevour should be a fifth or sixth round draft pick.”Now I am not going to argue on your assessment of where LeFevour fits into the NFL Draft. You have seen a lot more film on college and NFL quarterbacks and have talked with a lot more professional scouts than I have. I trust your opinion there.
But, I couldn’t disagree more with you statement on LeFevour as a leader. To make a broad statement like that is simply asinine.
I know you feel LeFevour is an overrated prospect, and that is fine, but stick to what you know. Evaluate him as a quarterback and his mechanics. Don’t act like you know him on a personal level and don’t think that watching him on film or in a game gives you an idea of how to evaluate him as a leader.
I am pretty sure that there are 20,000 plus people in the Mid-Michigan area that would like to explain to you why LeFevour is a good leader and at least 10 other guys that took the field with him on Saturdays that would like to strongly disagree with you.
Would a poor leader find a way to win three conference championships?
Would a poor leader find a way to win two bowl games?
Would a poor leader hold every major passing and scoring record at his college?
Would a poor leader score more touchdowns than any other player in Division 1 college football history?
Would a poor leader guide his team to its first ever top 25 ranking in school history?
Now maybe a guy that was a one-hit wonder and did well in one season could get by without leading his team, but LeFevour is not that guy.
I have watched with my own eyes as LeFevour emerged as a true leader for Central Michigan, on and off the field. He has dedicated his time and energy to making his team the best it could be through his efforts and the efforts of his teammates.
He has offered advice and friendship to many on his team and earned their trust and respect by leading by example.
Just being a freshman that stepped on the field in his first college game and winning over a huddle that featured a future NFL first round draft pick in Joe Staley is sign enough that LeFevour knows how to command a huddle and be a leader for his team. Not to mention, there hasn’t been one instance of off the field issues in four years as the face of a program.
But, I guess that’s not leadership.
If you think LeFevour won’t be a good NFL quarterback or isn’t worthy of an early round pick, I won’t argue with you. You know your stuff there. But, don’t take a cheap shot to try and strengthen your argument. It only discredits you as a professional.
I hope LeFevour does well in the NFL but I also know that he has a lot of work to do to become a franchise quarterback. I think he would admit the same.
But, what I do know, and what I know through four years of covering LeFevour, is that a team couldn’t ask for a better leader for their franchise if he becomes their starting quarterback.

Sincerely,
Drew Ellis

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, great post Drew. I have watched Dan on and off the field for three years and have the utmost respect for him as a person and as a representative of both CMU and its football program. Dan has learned leadership and will apply those skills in whatever he does in life. I wish him all the luck but I suspect he doesn't need it..

March 25, 2010 at 5:24 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT response..VERY well said, Drew..What more could be said??? Awesome.....

March 25, 2010 at 8:57 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todd McShay and the like have the resources and outlets to disseminate their opinions and get paid to do it. These opinions are often based on NOTHING, no knowledge, no personal contact, and little if no data. They get no penalty for tainting a deserving young person's reputation. In fact, they get rewarded because of the hype and interest surrounding their filthy comments. Todd McShay should be slapped in the face for his baseless remarks regarding LeFevour. Stop the nonsense MacShay, you have no business spilling your uniformed, poorly stated garbage on LeFevour. You don’t win 3 MAC titles in 4 years, and play in 4 straight bowl games (winning 2) by being an inaccurate, indecisive passer. You don’t go toe to toe with the upper echelon of the PAC 10 and ACC and beat Big 10 teams by having poor leadership at the QB position. Bring it on Todd! Oh…and stop belittling no. 23 CMU!

March 26, 2010 at 5:37 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todd McShay is a d bag...

March 26, 2010 at 6:51 AM 
Anonymous Pete said...

I think we are all too sensitive about Dan LeFevour.

I agree with you about McShay's criticism of Lefevour as a leader, but everything else he commented on is absolutely true. Dan does not have a pro arm, he comes from a gimmicky system that allows him to throw bubble screens and quick slants that do not require a high degree of accuracy. His reads on "pro style" passes are not very good, and when he is asked to throw the deep posts, flag routes, and out routes, he is very, very inaccurate. I've been to the games, I have watched the throws.

I know you conceded these points to McShay, but your argument about McShay's evaluation of Lefevour's draft status ("Now I am not going to argue on your assessment of where LeFevour fits into the NFL Draft") is an argument you can't win based on the points you conceded.

No one will draft a QB prospect with a poor arm and poor situational decision making on plays that require him to throw the ball more than 10 yards down field very high.

I think McShay has Lefevour pegged pretty accurately as a sixth round pick. I am a Chippewa and I love college football, but I think we are being homers. Dan isn't a pro quarterback, and I honestly think he is only worth a pick in the sixth or seventh. Even then I would take a different QB, like Juice Williams, with the hopes of turning him into a slot receiver a la Antwaan Randel El, Hines Ward, Julian Edelmenn, etc, etc, etc...

March 26, 2010 at 7:09 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes…Pete you are probably right on most of what you said. I am being a homer, but I was very fired up about the leadership comment and his belittling of CMU. Traits such as leadership are closely linked to character and he obviously does not know Dan’s character and shouldn’t pretend that he does by making such remarks!
Fire Up Chips!

March 26, 2010 at 7:24 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BS from McShay. LeFevour will not last past round 3. The dearth of quality NFL QBs will get him picked. I've watch VY play many NFL games and have seen him in person at training camps. LeFevour can lead and handle the mental and physical requirements of the NFL. He'll get drafted in the top 90 players. McShay is just throwing out a controversial opinion to get things stirred up. Its part of his job.

March 26, 2010 at 7:34 AM 
Blogger Nate Schneider said...

Pete,

I think some fan reaction is probably a little on the homer side but I don't think you can argue my points. I in no way tried to argue about his evaluation of LeFevour's mechanics or physical abilities. I simply take issue with his statement on LeFevour as a leader. While I don't agree with everything he say about LeFevour's mechanics, I trust he has looked at enough film and talked to enough scouts to have an informed opinion. But, again, the leadership comment is simply a cheap shot in my opinion.

March 26, 2010 at 7:38 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Almost all of the commentators at ESPN are BC$ homers and want nothing to do with the teams that are not in the Big Eleven, SEC, ACC, etc.

It comes as no surprise to me that some would try to belittle anyone from a MAC school. They seem to forget that the MAC teams play against most of those teams from the SEC, ACC, Big Eleven etc. the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season, and 90% of the time, they are playing AT the BC$ schools home stadium (who by the way, play 7, 8, 9 home games it seems in a 12 game season).

ESPN doesn't respect any schools other than their BC$ bed mates. Luckily, the NFL tends to find talent wherever it may be, not just at the BC$ schools.

March 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM 
Anonymous Pete said...

I guess if you are not arguing about his purported position in the draft, then I can agree with what you wrote. I must have misread your original post. I personally think Lefevour is a 5-7th rounder.

I agree with your criticism of McShay's analysis.
If Dan Lefevour is anything, he is a leader. At the college level, what he often lacked in measurables he made up for with guts and heart.

March 27, 2010 at 10:30 AM 
Blogger freznhimer said...

I just think it's awesome Drew that you got to use one of your favorite words, asinine!! Perfect execution of the word, if i might add.

April 7, 2010 at 9:06 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home