Tuesday, February 23, 2010

LeFevour set for combine

By DREW ELLIS
Sun Sports Writer

Dan LeFevour has excelled at making the most out of every opportunity.
His improbable four-year campaign as starting quarterback of the Central Michigan football team left him as one of the all-time greats in the program’s history. All he needed was the chance.
Now, as he ventures into his NFL future, LeFevour is facing a new challenge, but again, he is doing his part to make the most of the opportunity.
With the NFL Combine beginning today and running through Mar. 2 from Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Ind. LeFevour will take part in interviews with scouts and representatives from all 32 NFL teams while also taking part in drills and exercises.
But, what LeFevour won’t be doing is what the scouts really want to see, throwing the football.
“I will be doing everything there is to do, I just won’t be doing any throwing or passing drills,” LeFevour said. “I will be going through interviews, taking the tests, doing the 40-yard dash, the shuttle, everything they ask but throwing.”
So why is LeFevour waiting to throw until his CMU Pro Day on March 24?
“At the combine I would be asked to throw with receivers I have never thrown to or have any chemistry with,” LeFevour said. “I feel like I want to have my pro day focused on just throwing. I want to be in my familiar surroundings throwing to guys that I have always thrown to. I want to make sure that I am comfortable when I throw for the scouts and I don’t have to worry about other factors and working with receivers that I haven’t worked with before.”
Though his arm won’t be on display, his character and personality will be this weekend, which can be just as important.
“As a quarterback, you want to interview well and you need to be able to present yourself well,” LeFevour said. “Teams want to know that you are capable of being a leader and that you can command a huddle, so that will be important for me to show.”
LeFevour will also test his agility and athleticism as he takes part in the shuttle drill, the high jump, and the always popular 40-yard dash.
“I think doing well in the 40 would help,” LeFevour said. “I don’t want to set myself up for failure and expect to run something like a 4.5 or 4.6, but I have been improving on that in training and I think posting a 4.7 is reasonable for me.”
Getting a chance to go through practices at the Senior Bowl has also helped LeFevour prepare for the combine, as he has already been through some of the rigors that come with this weekend.
“The Senior Bowl was a great opportunity and it helped quite a bit in my training and preparation,” LeFevour said. “I feel very thankful to have been able to play in that and go through the whole week. I feel more prepared for the combine because I went through that experience.”
While LeFevour hasn’t been told by teams where they see him fitting in this year’s draft, he is optimistic about increasing his value this weekend.
“I think every team has a different opinion, but nobody wants to show their cards and give away their strategies,” LeFevour said. “Nobody has really told me where they think I will be drafted, so I am just going in hoping that I can make a good impression and perform well.”
LeFevour will join fellow teammate, Antonio Brown, as the lone Chippewas at the combine. LeFevour is hoping Brown can also leave a good impression in Indianapolis.
“I hope he does his best because I know his best is better than a lot of guys,” LeFevour said of Brown. “Antonio is an incredible player with a lot of talent and I just hope he can display that and set himself up for a promising future.”

*On a side note, I got a chance to do some work with The Scores Report, an online blog spot, on LeFevour. Check out the article here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home