Thursday, April 26, 2012

Let Dominic Speak.

This is not a sports post, but I don't know where else to express my thoughts right now.

I can't sleep. It is 5:26 a.m. and I just can't sleep.

All I can do is think. Not good thoughts, mind you. More so the thought that the school that I called my own from fifth grade through 12 has some bigoted, hateful people calling the shots.

Sometime late Wednesday evening, the news started to make the rounds that Sacred Heart Academy decided that Dominic Sheahan-Stahl wasn't suited to be the keynote speaker at the upcoming senior graduate. Why, you might ask?

Well, because Dominic is gay. No other reasons given, apparently none needed. That is the only reason.

Just simply because he is gay.

Now, there are plenty of good employees at Sacred Heart Academy. I had some wonderful teachers during my time there. But the ones making the decisions, the ones that have obviously made it clear that homophobia is the modus operandi at the school. They have shown their true colors.

This is why I decided Catholicism or any other religion for that matter was not for me sometime during my early high school years. Love thy neighbor? Hypocritical words, it is so often shown.

More like "love thy neighbor, as long as they meet my guidelines".

Dominic already bought his plane ticket. He already had his speech written. His brother is graduating and he was going to be the one giving the big speech.

Not anymore. All ruined by those in charge that have no moral compass, no understanding of what the religion they lay claim to is trying to preach.

It is sad. It is pathetic. And I cannot support a school that plays by this set of rules.

This is what Dominic wrote on Facebook: "Just found out that I CAN'T be the Keynote Speaker for my High School "Sacred Heart Academy" in Mount Pleasant, Michigan because I am Gay! Wow, for the first time in my life I am feeling discriminated. I want everyone on Facebook to know this and please spread the word. This is Bull! Especially because I was to be speaking at youngest brother's graduation. Wow.....Wow.....Wow!"

This isn't just a case of minor feelings being hurt. This is full-fledged discrimination directed toward Dominic for who he is.

I can still do my job properly at the newspaper as far as covering Sacred Heart sporting events. I can still cover the games and write for the kids, those who had nothing to do with this decision. There is no fault in them whatsoever. I just hope they are smart enough to realize what they are being taught is a load of bull.

Yet the administration in charge at Sacred Heart Academy, the people that are teaching homophobia and telling Dominic that he is lower than them because of the way he was born. I can't support the school ever again because of your shocking lack of a moral compass. Not even an apology will suffice at this point. How sincere could it possibly be?

I hope that Dominic's story goes viral. National. Hell, worldwide. Sacred Heart, the school I graduated from, deserves nothing but bad publicity from this.

I don't know who made this decision and I am not going to throw any individuals under the bus, but you know who you are. Shame on you.

Parents do not want to send their children to a school like that. I remember being told in about 2001 by a Sacred Heart teacher that he'd be surprised if the school lasted more than 15 more years.

The foundation is crumbling. Keep on teaching hatred and your school will be gone before you realize the ramifications of your actions.

There is already a stronghold of people supporting Dominic through this travesty and it is only going to grow and grow as the word spreads.

Please, go here and sign the petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/sacred-heart-academy-mt-pleasant-mi-stop-endorsing-homophobia

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Up untill 30 or 40 years ago it was a crime to commit homosexual acts in this country, then based on a secular decision that law was stricken from the law books. Since you are attending a religious school who has always viewed homosexuality as a sin and will continue to do so regardless of the secular view. Religious doctrine should not be changed based on the whim of the few when the original decision was made on a spiritual & biblical basis. I don't believe that a religion should abandon (or turn off & on) it's religious beliefs just to make someone feel good.If you disagree with the doctrine of your religion, I would encourage you to find one that you can agree with.
Atheists and nonbelievers have been attacking religions (particularly Christian) as of late.

April 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact that this is a religious school isn't a good enough reason to prohibit this student from speaking. If the school doesn't like homosexuals, it shouldn't have admitted him in the first place. The school didn't refuse his tuition money. IT'S TOO LATE TO CHANGE THE RULES. He paid the price of admission, so he earned the same opportunities as the other students.

April 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LET DOMINIC SPEAK. This is the bishop of Saginaw Diocese's fault, not Sacred Heart's principal or any other faculty. Sacred Heart Academy is in full support of Dominic coming to speak, that is why we are taking a stand.

April 27, 2012 at 5:44 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Catholic Church directs its followers to approach homosexuals with "unbiased friendship," and admits that there is a biological component to homosexuality. This school is not even following the tenets of its own religion; administrators made this decision based on their personal hostility toward gay people.

April 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since Dominic Sheahan-Stahl is not a student, I would think that he would have to be invited by the school in the first place.

April 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM 
Blogger Nate said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 28, 2012 at 12:19 AM 
Anonymous jerry seltzer said...

He will get such great publicity out of this and those who are sharing it, those who want him should get a hall, whether it is a Round Table Pizza or VFW and bring him in and have him do his post graduation speech.....that should be so easy to promote..........

April 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home