Practice notes from Friday, 8/12
- On the injury front, a lot of the WR's have healed up. A couple of new names in red were OL Rocky Weaver and Mike Repovz as well as LB Alex Smith. It didn't appear as if any were too serious.
- With Weaver and Repovz out, the offensive line was slightly shuffled. Eric Fisher stayed at Left Tackle while Jake Olson moved to right tackle. Darren Keyton moved from center to guard while Aaron McCord was at the other guard spot and Andy Phillips was at center. There is some buzz on Phillips that he is really impressing the coaching staff and may find his way onto the starting lineup.
- True freshman Dennis Nalor was taking first team snaps at CB. I think Enos and the staff could be rotating in freshmen to see how they perform at the position. I think they really want to know what they have in their true freshmen at CB before they decide what to do with their other guys (i.e. Avery Cunningham, Derek Carter, etc.)
- The quarterbacks looked somewhat unimpressive today. Radcliff had some nice throws in drills but then struggled during scrimmage periods. Westendorp struggled with his accuracy as well. Fricke had a real nice deep ball to Billy Myler during practice and Niznak continues to do some good things and some bad things.
- Myler was taking a lot of reps with the first string in four-WR sets. He appears to be second on the depth chart at slot receiver. He has been doing a lot of work on punt returns as well.
- Jerry Harris looks to be the guy winning the race for the outside receiver position. He was running a lot with the first team offense and Radcliff. He made a few nice catches as well.
That's about all for today. CMU is having a scrimmage tomorrow with refs on hand, so it should be interesting to see who steps up. I will try to provide as much play-by-play and info as I can.