CMU Football Practice Notes from Monday, 8/8
- Jahleel Addae didn't go through contact with an injury that didn't seem too serious as he was pretty upbeat and active throughout practice.
- Darren Keyton wasn't at practice at all but came back at the end of the day. Not sure if it is injury related. He is not in any hot water with the team or coaches.
- During practice, Mike Petrucci and Jerry Harris both got banged up. Petrucci took a hard hit in the upper body and sat out the last few drills. Didn't look serious. Harris made a great leaping catch in the corner of the end zone over Avery Cunningham on a nice pass from Ryan Radcliff. On his way down, Harris hit hard and was slow to get up to end practice.
- Others currently in red are: FR WR Jesse Kroll, FR WR Andrew Flory, RFR TE Joe Sawicki, RFR WR Johnathan Taylor, SR DE Kashawn Fraser, FR DL Matt Losiniecki, SO LB Ben Masztak, SO FB Adam Fenton, and RFR WR Deon Butler. Guys in Yellow (Limited Contact): SR WR Cedric Fraser, JR LB Jake Bentley, and SO LB Jason Johnson.
- The injuries gave opportunities to some young guys. Cunningham was taking over for Addae at safety and then moving to nickel CB in three CB sets. In nickel sets, Leron Eaddy would play Addae's safety spot.
- Cunningham had some nice plays on defense. He had a nice break on a pass and made some tips throughout practice.
- True Freshman Titus Davis got some snaps with the first team due to the injuries. He shows some nice raw talent, but he is still somewhat thin.
- Cedric Fraser shows some real talent, but as a senior, it seems like he has been more about potential than production.
- Harris dropped a beautiful deep ball from Radcliff on a well-run play. Harris beat the CMU DB's deep and had it put right in his lap, but let the ball fall through his arms. It was a pretty bad drop to have.
- Alex Smith moved to MLB for Petrucci when he got injured. I think the coaches like Smith, but he hasn't been able to beat out Benton for the WLB spot.
- In the punting game, Curtis Huge seems to have some competition from Richie Hogan. Hogan was booting some nice kicks and Huge had one punt that was just awful, about 10 yards.
- In the FG kicking, David Harman has been pretty good. He hit a few from outside 40 today. He had one kick blocked by Lorenzo White. Huge had some good kicks as well, but had one blocked be Leterrius Walton in the middle. Harman also had some impressive kickoffs, getting the ball to the end zone.
- Enos continues to show more intensity this season and seems to be more confident that this is his team. I think he was tentative at times, since last year's players were coming off such a successful season. But, he is clearly commanding this team this season.
That's it for today. Tomorrow is the first practice in full pads. Should get interesting.