Friday, February 8, 2013

A chat with new CMU defensive line coach George Ricumstrict

The Central Michigan University football program hired former CMU standout George Ricumstrict Jan. 25 as its new defensive line coach.
Ricumstrict was a four-year letterwinner at Central Michigan (1985-88), while he also coached linebackers and special teams at CMU from 2000 through ‘03 under former head coach Mike DeBord.
While playing for the Chippewas, Ricumstrict racked up 266 total tackles (126 solos) and had 18 stops for loss along with three interceptions. He helped CMU to 24 victories during his collegiate career.
Ricumstruct began his coaching career at Central Michigan as a graduate assistant in 1991, while this past year he coached linebackers and special teams at Central Missouri. He has also made coaching stops at Northwood (1993-94), Wayne State (1995), Michigan State (1996), Army (1997), Missouri Southern (1998-99), and Indiana (2005-10).
After his senior year of football at CMU in 1988, Ricumstrict was presented with the Kurt Dobronski Award which is presented annually to the Central Michigan senior who demonstrates great effort, intensity, and appreciation for the football program.
Ricumstrict earned both his bachelor’s degree (1990) and master’s degree (1992) from Central Michigan.
He takes over for former defensive line coach Vinson Reynolds, who accepted a job in the same capacity at Western Michigan. 

I caught up with Ricumstrict Wednesday at Signing Day and here is what he had to say:

On how he feels being back at CMU:
"It is wonderful to be back here for a third go-around. Coach Enos is doing some very good things here and I am excited to be a part of it. I always stayed in touch with everything that is going on at Central Michigan. I'm a proud alum. Especially when it came to football, I was always tuned in. So when this job opened up and it happened to be in a position I coach, yeah I got a little excited." 

On the excitement of bringing in a new Signing Class:
"I had the chance to get on the road for a week and meet all the new defensive linemen. They're good kids. Coach Enos and his staff have done a good job bringing in kids who are strong academically and quality people. I'm excited about the opportunity to coach them."

On his coaching philosophy:
"I have to be who I am. I've got a little juice, a little energy. I told the guys that when they make a mistake, they are going to hear me. But when they make a play, they are going to hear me also. That's the best way to describe it. I am going to be involved."

On playing for former CMU head coach Herb Deromedi:
He could get you going. I was telling the story earlier (Wednesday) about back in 1987, we were playing Eastern Michigan and they ended up winning the conference that year. We were the only team that beat them. They came up here and Coach Deromedi told us Friday night about seeing their coach come into the stadium and he had something on his lapel. He really got us fired up. That is something 'Coach D' always did. We were going to be prepared to play. That never changed."

On whether Coach Deromedi and the rest of that coaching staff helped mold his coaching style:
"Coach Deromedi had a big impact in how I coach. And you know, Coach (Mose) Rison recruited me. He is back here as the wide receivers coach. Coach (Plas) Presnell was here as well coaching outside linebackers. So yeah, it's kind of funny in that way. Coach Deromedi is a big reason why I got into coaching. He offered me a graduate assistant's job when I finished up. I played as a true freshman, so I had a fifth year to graduate so I was a student assistant. Then when I finished that up, he gave me the opportunity to come back and be a graduate assistant. He is a big part of who I am now and why I wanted to get into coaching."

On seeing a bright future for the CMU football program:
"There is no doubt about it. They finished strong last year, which is what you want to do. Winning a bowl game is always exciting. For me personally, there is some really strong young talent at the position I am coaching. So I definitely think the future is very, very bright."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home